About Me

My photo
Hi. I'm Rodd. I am: husband of one; father of two; son; brother; co-worker; friend; child of God. This is a new endeavor for me. Here, I'll be sharing my thoughts and ideas, interests and passions. Whatever I'll write, I'll seek to give glory to the Highest. Come along for the ride!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Old Vinyl

I just read an article in the newspaper about a trend among teenagers with collecting and listening to old vinyl records on actual turntables. They were talking about how the sound was so much better and that earlier music was never meant to be digitized. 

I'm one that is easily caught up with new technology. I love the stuff. It intrigues me and interests me. But, I wonder, what is the cost of "Out with the old and in with the new?" A colleague at work today was telling me about a story he heard on the radio this morning. They were discussing that people hardly need to know anything anymore in the era of the internet. If one doesn't know or can't figure something out,  it's Google to the rescue.

I got to thinking about the church. I again am one that loves progress in the church. I like the new music and modern technological advances. It works for me. It sets a certain atmosphere for me. But, I wonder what things we've left behind that were also beneficial.  What if that is not "working" for someone else? Are we missing our opportunity to share Christ? What can we learn from the "old guard" that we can put into practice today? What methods worked for them that we can use today? What if those ways become the new "trend?" Will we be too involved in our new technology to respond?

Ecclesiastes 1:9 (New International Version, ©2011)

9 What has been will be again,
   what has been done will be done again;
   there is nothing new under the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment