About Me

My photo
Hi. I'm Rodd. I am: husband of one; father of two; son; brother; co-worker; friend; child of God. This is a new endeavor for me. Here, I'll be sharing my thoughts and ideas, interests and passions. Whatever I'll write, I'll seek to give glory to the Highest. Come along for the ride!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Devo

In my last post I talked about having accountability partners. These are the people that you've given permission to keep you on track spiritually, physically, etc. For this post, I'm thinking specifically of being held accountable to a daily devotion time. This is an area where, honestly, I've struggled for most of my life. I have never found this easy to do. It takes focus and discipline, dedication and commitment. There are times when I've stayed faithful in making that time and other times where I'm completely lazy and inactive in this area.

I've never really determined why this has been so hard for me to be consistent with. I desire to deepen my relationship with God. I've seen and experienced the benefits of being in the Word and having that knowledge. I like to read. I want it to be a time of growth and reflection and not just something I check off my daily to-do list.

So, what's the deal? I know and understand the need for this in order to continue to mature in my faith. I have people in place to ask me how I'm doing. Yet, I'm not where I want to be or need to be.

How about you? Is this something that comes easy for you or is this an area you really have to work at like me? If so, why do you think that is? Is this another area where the enemy is attacking, or, are we just lazy? I don't think we're going to Hell if we don't read our Bibles everyday. But, I do think it's necessary for us to grow and mature in our faith; to enhance our relationship with our Father; to be obedient to our Savior.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I've often struggled in this area as well. At times I find evenings work best, but my consistency is lacking. I've always resisted the idea that devotions should be in the morning. I hate morning and don't wake up well or easily. However, my iPod/Pad is usually by my bedside and I often wake up and check the weather or news. A couple weeks ago I committed to opening my Bible app before any other. I find my day starting a little easier. By the time I've read the day's reading and prayed for the upcoming day, I'm not so grouchy and I'm more prepared to tackle the day ahead. I still don't think there is anything magical about morning devos, but I think the key is to keep trying until you find something that works for you.

    ReplyDelete