About Me

My photo
Hi. I'm Rodd. I am: husband of one; father of two; son; brother; co-worker; friend; child of God. This is a new endeavor for me. Here, I'll be sharing my thoughts and ideas, interests and passions. Whatever I'll write, I'll seek to give glory to the Highest. Come along for the ride!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Influence

Image: jscreationzs / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
 
I've been thinking a lot lately about my influence. Specifically, the influence I have on others. Even more specifically, how am I influencing others for the Kingdom? It's been an interesting few weeks as Nancy and have have been praying about and taking an introspective look at what God desires for our lives in the way of service. Obviously, we are called to serve others around us each and every day, but we've been looking at different things we could do in a ministry related setting.

I've often been interested in Leadership. It was one of the main reasons I went back to college in 2005 to get my Bachelor's degree. It was then that I read a book (for class) entitled "Developing the Leader Within You" by John C. Maxwell. One thing in particular stood out to me. He states: "Leadership is influence. That's it. Nothing more; nothing less." This has stuck with me the last several years as I've been in different jobs and served in different roles. It all comes back to influence. 

I've come to understand that influence doesn't require a degree, a position, or a title. It does require a willingness to be used. And that's my prayer. That I'd be willing to be used in whatever situation He places me in. And, to be more aware of those opportunities and act on them. I desire to be that Godly influence to my family, friends, co-workers and fellow members of the Body of Christ. I pray that I can be an effective servant in this area.

In what ways are you a Kingdom influencer?

1 comment:

  1. I think Kingdom influence requires leaders to think about the growth/successes of those they influence more than about their own. This is true leadership & influence, as opposed to manipulation born of charisma/personality.
    I love a quote I found from Benjamin Zander, "My job is to awaken possibilities in others." That requires putting my self aside for the benefit of those I'm influencing.

    ReplyDelete