About Me

My photo
Hi. I'm Rodd. I am: husband of one; father of two; son; brother; co-worker; friend; child of God. This is a new endeavor for me. Here, I'll be sharing my thoughts and ideas, interests and passions. Whatever I'll write, I'll seek to give glory to the Highest. Come along for the ride!

Friday, December 24, 2010

Family

Nancy, my wonderful wife,  is my special guest blogger. Please see her offering below. Have a Merry Christmas!

Family

As we have faced the passing of Rodd’s grandfather this week I’ve thought a lot about what family really is.  Is a family formed when two individuals become the parents of a tiny precious life and are given a legal document stating such?  Is it when a child is brought into the folds of a group of people through adoption?  What is a family?

As Rodd and I have been faced with many challenges through the years we’ve questioned this often times.  Watching him come to grips with the lost relationship of his birth father and then his adopted father I’ve been blessed to see him build and nurture a relationship with my own father. 

I’ve come to realize through my thoughts this week that true family supports and encourages you through it all and loves you through it all.  Sometimes it is a blood connection, sometimes it is a legal connection but there is always a heart connection.

Rodd and I are blessed with a large family and with the loss of that heart connection with some we at times have struggled with how we fit into it all.  We are also blessed with a group of friends we are honored to call family.  We’ve created memories and built heart connections that are strong and run deep.  They challenge us, support and love us through it all sometimes despite of it all.

As I write these thoughts it is poignant that we celebrate the birth of Christ tomorrow.  Christ was born on this earth to a young couple that would have never received a legal document stating that they were his legal parents.  Joseph knew he was the equivalent of what in modern times we call a step-father but yet he supported, encouraged and loved the young Jesus just the same; he allowed a heart connection to form.  Christ came to this earth to become life to us all.  He desires a heart connection with each of us so much so that he shed his blood and lay down his life on the cross.

Who is your family?  Who have you built a heart connection with?

Merry Christmas!
Nancy

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts Nancy! Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing that He's given so much in order to adopt us into His family!

    ReplyDelete